Thursday, September 13, 2012

For Lynda

"The things that happen to us do not determine who we are;

they reveal who we are."

 -Amy Bloom

 
 

Inner strength- do you have it or do you know someone that does, have you had to use yours much? We’re all a lot stronger than we think. Just like the iconic story of the mother that physically lifted a car to rescue her child from danger, we have superpower strength. This is why I’m uncomfortable when people tell me I’m strong. Well, yes I know that, but so are you, you just may not have had the opportunity to use it to the same extent.
We all have faced some sort of challenge in our past, maybe you’re in the midst of one now. Maybe you don’t feel very strong. While I think it’s important to not let our struggles define us (we are more than our struggles!), it’s also important to share how we got through because there is someone else that needs to hear it. This is why I blog.
Today I am saddened by news of a relative being diagnosed with cancer; I want to send her a dose of inner strength as she reels from the news. I know the act of surviving breeds strength, always. Sometimes we just have to take a deep breath and brace ourselves for what's ahead. I want her, and you, to know that you have the strength you need, within you, for anything you may face. Look to others to remind you of your strength, rely on them: those that have been there (authors, bloggers), friends, family, and especially God. Know that the pain is temporary, you can do this.

Maybe you need a reminder today of just how strong you are. You may not be facing a large struggle, but I bet there are plenty of small ones that pop up day to day. I believe we should stop measuring diffiulties, we are all in the same boat and what's small for one person is large for another, it's a mere matter of perspective.

Large, small, cancer, or a baby that refuses to sleep at night... you're not alone. You're about to reveal something wonderful you maybe never knew you contained- beautiful, graceful strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment